Monday, July 27, 2009

The Cincinnati Police are Called In

To bring yourself up to speed, you’ll want to start a couple of posts ago with one called Stupid Things. Now that were all on the same page.

Baby, if you've ever
wondered ... wondered,
whatever became of me ...
I'm livin' on the air in
Cincinnati ...

 

"DON'T LIE TO ME!", the angry University of Cincinnati Cop shouted at Todd. He then gave us some room while he conversed with the UC policewoman. I gave Todd an update and told him how things were looking. He strolled off.

The angry UC cop told me they were going to call in the Cincinnati Police. I can only assume that, as I'd passed the field sobriety test the list of things he could charge me with were more limited than he liked. Maybe the Cincinnati police would have better luck. Maybe I'd screw up in front of them. Maybe the whole thing was standard operating procedure.

Joe came down from the Fawn-Brown Datsun. Like Todd, he acted like he was taking a walk through the streets of Cincinnati and just happened across me. "Hmmm, this Maurice guy," the UC Cops must have been thinking, "is certainly popular. He can't stand on the sidewalk forty miles from home for more than 15 minutes without running into people he knows. If only I were that popular."

Perhaps this is why angry cop was angry. He was just a bit jealous. Then, there's always the chance that he just didn't like being lied to.

Joe asked me what was going on. Angry cop asked Joe if he'd been in the Orange Datsun. Joe said he hadn't. Angry cop said ... everybody ... all together ...

"DON'T LIE TO ME!"

Joe and I have different approaches when it comes to dealing with law enforcement persons. Right after "Don't Lie to Law Enforcement Officials (To Save Your Butt)" I list "Always Be Polite When Speaking with Law Enforcement Officials" as point number two. The whole time I was conversing with the police ... and we'd shared many sentences, probably a paragraph or two, I was all "Yes sir," "No Sir," Yes Ma'am," "No Ma'am," "No, not very smart at all."

Joe had one exchange with angry cop: "I'M NOT LYING TO YOU! I GO TO SCHOOL HERE ..." there was more to it but I don't recall it all. Angry cop walked off. I gave Joe an update. (Joe is normally a very laid-back guy.)

A Cincinnati Police Officer arrived. I could overhear his conversation with Angry Cop.

"How many has he had to drink?" asked the Cincy Cop.

"He's had twelve."

The Cincinnati Officer paused, took a look at me and said, "He looks like he could hold twelve to me."

You could tell by his tone that he didn't mean if I was all hollowed out my shell could hold 144 ounces ... he meant that it looked like I could probably drink twelve beers and not be the problem some other twelve-beer drinkers might be. At the time I was running 250 pounds and, as always, had that stretched out over a 6'4" (plus a wee bit more) frame.

Next Episode: Another Field Sobriety Test

 

No comments:

Post a Comment